An I-D experiment (Re: HTML better for small PDAs)

2001-02-27 06:00:02
At 18:30 26/02/2001 -0800, Marshall T. Rose wrote:
> There is a use for XML or nroff versions of I-D's (but not RFC's) that
> has not been mentioned much (maybe first in your mention of "ASCII memos
> can't be reformatted").  It saves lots of work to exchange editorial
changes
> as deltas to a mark up language version.

i agree. this certainly is of value to the folks who author I-Ds.

> Perhaps in other words, allow XML in ftp.isi.edu:internet-drafts but
> not in ftp.isi.edu:in-notes

i agree. i'm not asking that we publish RFCs in any new formats. i'm
suggesting that we experiment for 9 months in the I-D area.
A slight modification (I changed the subject line to concentrate on the constructive thread out of this):

Let's say that we accept I-Ds in ASCII format.
Let's also say that for each I-D, the secretariat will accept up to 1 file containing "source", where "source" can be NROFF macros, XML (Marshall's DTD) text or Word documents.

To be stored in the "internet-drafts/source" subdirectory.
(for completeness, there should also be a note saying how to produce the ASCII from the source; my Word stuff differs from the official Word stuff - but this makes the use/submission more complex)

After 9 months, we can ask people to evaluate:

- Whether they used "source" at all
- What formats they found that were useful
- What formats they found that caused trouble

This thread should go somewhere else....

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com
+47 41 44 29 94