RE: HTML better for small PDAs

2001-03-01 05:00:02
John,

You make some good points;  and, unlike some, I never claim to be right all
the time.

Would you not concede, though, that coders ( should ) write to implement
requirements, which are typically not defined by the coders themselves, but
by their "customers" ?  The IETF publishes lots of I-Ds which give
requirements, rather than coding solutions. The people who write these
requirements are not necessarily coders themselves.

In my, limited, coding experience, I don't recall finding ASCII diagrams as
part of the code.  Poor diagrammatic capability is one of the problems I
have with ASCII.

I am not trying to push a particular format, just to explore other
possibilities.  You previous point about people choosing to use a "copy
that's easier for some people to read" is interesting.  Doesn't it imply
that we should consider other formats ?  At the least, it implies to me that
ASCII is far from perfect.

IMHO, standards are about far more than writing code;  first, and most
importantly, they are about achieving agreement. ( Otherwise we could all
just go off and write whatever code we want. )  This requires a common mind
set, and a suitable level of understanding to form it.  I am in favour of
making it as easy as possible for common understanding to be reached.  After
all, the subjects are complex enough to understand, without being hampered
by poor communication tools.

Regards,

Graham Travers

Applications Standards Strategist
*  Tel: +44 1359 235086
*  Mobile:  0780 8502536
*    Fax:  +44 1359 235087
*  HW B279, P.O. Box 200, London, N18 1ZF
* - Email:  graham(_dot_)travers(_at_)bt(_dot_)com