RE: An I-D experiment (Re: HTML better for small PDAs)

2001-03-03 19:10:03
At 12:08 AM 2/28/2001, graham(_dot_)travers(_at_)bt(_dot_)com wrote:
        [ It is precisely because we do not operate a "sweat shop" that we
do not expect everybody to engage on ALL the IETF lists.  We have the quaint
idea that the work should be shared out.  Oddly enough, we have a company
hierarchy, in which some people work for others.  Apparently, this concept
of organisation is outside your experience.

In all likelihood, Vernon has more corporate experience than you. On the other hand, it is in a company with some unusual organizational models that permit senior contributors to work largely outside the classic corporate structure.

For that matter, the hierarchical formal model of the IETF is deceptive. In very real and substantial ways, the IETF works in a fashion far different from most organizations. Initiatives are almost always from the bottom. Development is from the bottom. Decisions are almost always from the bottom.

How many corporations work that way?

The IETF hierarchy provides administrative coherence and does periodic technical sanity enforcement. This latter can get quite authoritarian, but is really a negotiation between management and a working group, and it occurs at very selected milestones only.

        Abuse is the refuge of the irrational.  I note that you would prefer
to reserve the right to "Contribute To The Standards Process" for yourself
and other high-minded individuals.  This is presumably the famed IETF "
openness" in action. ]

And an experienced technical manager knows better than to take the bait from a typically eccentric techie.

They also know better than to react to a comment from a single contributor and assume that it in any way pertains to a group norm.

> That some people HATE the ASCII format is not evidence about whether
> ASCII is incomplete.

You managed to miss this part of Vernon's response. There is a difference between happiness and productivity. And, for that matter, when have you had a GOOD project where the engineers did not complain?

Personally I believe we can do better than ASCII, but there are 30 years of history showing that it is an astonishingly good form and that the forms used in other venues often result in more arcane documents.

        [ So, from now on all IETF illustrated presentations will consist
solely of diagrams of packets, because any red-blooded      protocol
developer worth his salt is a wimp if he wants to draw anything else to help
people understand what his I-D is saying.  Oh, and, of course, if anyone
dares to use anything but ASCII, then he can't be a protocol developer, can

Vernon was talking about specification documents. And here you go on to make comments about presentations. Vernon was talking about requirements for specifications. That is different from what people prefer for presentations.

And from the style of your paragraph, here, the comment about managers taking the bait comes to mind again.

d/

Dave Crocker   <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Brandenburg InternetWorking   <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel: +1.408.246.8253;   fax: +1.408.273.6464