IETF Travel Woes (was Deja Vu)

2001-03-28 12:00:03
London is well known to be
one of the most expensive cities in the world for hotel accommodation.
It would be a bad thing if clue was excluded because of the total cost
of a meeting being very high.

But hopefully IETF attendies are of the mindset that can forgo the
ensuite hotel room for B&B accomodation or the like. London is
going to be interesting as we're going to be there at the peak of
the holiday season, when accomodation rates are at their highest
and room availability is at its lowest.

For travel planning purposes it's important to me that the location
of the London meeting be announced as early as possible. I doubt
very much I'll be staying in the conference hotel (or anywhere near
it), which means I need to book alternate accomodation as early as
possible. (BTW, if you want to reproduce the Minneapolis-in-winter
experience in Europe, I highly recommend Brighton in February.)

Also, to follow up on (I think it was) Melinda's comments about
airfare costs, I'll note that a return ticket for Edmonton-Minneapolis
(a 2.5 hour flight) was just under CAD$1700. A return ticket for
Edmonton-London (about 9 hours) can be had for around CAD$900.

--lyndon