Re: IPv9 ??

2001-04-18 09:10:02
  *>
  *> One quick question: Why IPv1-IPv3 left untouched ?
  *>
  *> Jiwoong
  *>
  *>

They are available but not untouched.

IP versions 1, 2, and 3 were used during the initial research phase for
the Internet protocols, roughly 1977 - 1980.  (I am a little fuzzy
about 3... I believe that versions 1, 2, and 2.5 (!?) are documented).
Anyway, that is why the legacy IP protocol is IPv4.  More recently, the
IANA reclaimed numbers 1-3.

Versions 1, 2, and 2.5 are defined in documents called IENs
(Internet Experiment Notes); those that are online will be found
at http://www.rfc-editor.org/history.html.

Bob Braden