Re: filtering of mailing lists and NATs

2001-05-21 20:40:04
Keith Moore wrote:

I beg to differ.  People install firewalls to filter their own incoming
and/or outgoing traffic.

D'oh. I thought firewalls where also used to filter traffic
one did *not* ask for. Stuff that wasn't apriori declared part of
one's community of interest. Seemed a reasonable analogy.

        [..]
Those who are complaining about spam on this list have the ability to
filter their own incoming traffic.

Kinda, sorta. No reason not to propose schemes that operate closer
to the source, even by one hop.

 What they're wanting is for someone
else to filter their traffic for them,

Yup.

and for everyone else on the list
also,

Right again.

using poorly-chosen filtering criteria on which there's no consensus.

It is a fragile universe one inhabits where asking people to subscribe
to the community of interest before posting is equated to censorship.
If that's what you mean by "poorly-chosen" then... oh well. Thread
fizzles to an end.

cheers,
gja