Re: Mailing list policy

2001-05-21 21:50:02
Speaking as an IETF WG co-chair, I know the PILC list has gotten spammed by
people who also hit every other IETF WG list I was subscribed to. Whether
automated or not, it's not as impractical to spam IETF lists as I wish it
was.

The special thrill I get is when some bonehead does this two weeks before an
IETF meeting, of course. Why isn't RUN standing-room-only?

Spencer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Farley" <sixdrift(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: Mailing list policy

--- John Stracke <francis(_at_)ecal(_dot_)com> wrote:
Michael Richardson wrote:

  This "list of lists", alas, would become a spammer/head-hunter
target if
made too easily accessible, but we already have that problem.

In addition, it would mean that anybody subscribed to one IETF list
could spam all
of them, which would weaken the protection.  Today, if you want to
spam all of
them, you have to subscribe to all of them, which is impractical.

Impractical, but through software, not impossible. Could readily be
automated