Re: Mailing list policy

2001-05-20 14:10:02

Lloyd Wood <l(_dot_)wood(_at_)eim(_dot_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> writes:
In the IETF, there's often reason to cross-post to WG lists that you
aren't subscribed to, when discussion veers that way. The IESG
does that a lot, and 'subscriber only' policies will hold up IESG
business as a result.

When you are the maintainer of a list, you can approve postings that
get held up because of non-subscriber origins. I do this
routinely. Works just fine.

If need be, we can just have as policy that the IESG and several other
key addresses are always on the "auto-approve" list. Majordomo and
other packages make it easy to do that.

If spam in general bothers you, install some mail filters to protect
your sensitive eyes.

It is easiest to filter spam through mechanisms like non-subscriber
blocks and such. Trying to filter it when it gets to your mailbox is
much harder.

but will stop the bulk of the spammers.

I've run a lot of lists that way, including some IETF mailing lists,
and it has worked out fine. It stops most spam but does not
inconvenience most subscribers.

Quite a few IETFers have more than one email address.

Which is why Majordomo lets you have a seperate list of addresses that
can post but don't get the mail. Works beautifully.

Perry

--
Perry E. Metzger                perry(_at_)wasabisystems(_dot_)com