Re: filtering of mailing lists and NATs

2001-05-22 13:30:03
Robert Elz wrote:

  | Most spammers strike me as opportunistic and not overly interested
  | in special-case-handling a couple of subscribe-to-send lists,

Of course, and as long as they can get to the vast majority of their
target, it will probably remain that way.

Good enough for me. It is said that to avoid a bear, you don't
need to be faster than the bear, just faster than someone else
in your group ;)

        [..]
how long do you
think it will be before the spammer's lists of names contain not only the
destination address, but the From: address they should use to send to that
address?

Who knows. I suspect it would be a *vastly* long time before the
ratio of 'blocked mailing list' to 'personal email addresses' becomes
so high that spammers will special-case their code just to target
mailing lists. Today mailing lists are accidental inclusions on spammer
master target lists. They already deal with email addresses that get
stale and bounce, the trick is to convince them our mailing list address
is similarly 'stale'. This *is* social engineering, by us, of them,
using technology.

cheers,
gja