Re: 2 interfaces on same subnet

2001-05-31 08:50:03
On Thu, 31 May 2001 17:40:53 +0300,
EXT-Faycal(_dot_)Hadjiat(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com  said:
I search why we can't have two ethernet interfaces(with different IP address
of course) on the same subnet?
I know it's impossible but why?

It's not impossible.  It's just often difficult to do it *right*.

The biggest danger is accidentally forwarding packets between the interfaces
and causing a packet storm.  The second biggest problem is getting the
software to bind to the correct interfaces.

Consider that most modern Unix-derived systems allow you to configure
multiple IP addresses for the *SAME* interface, for web-hosting and the
like - so it's not TOO difficult to do.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst