Re: opes and technology picks

2001-06-20 22:10:03

Valdis,

The battle you are attempting to fight is quite different from the risk of
OPES.  I don't think we will ever save the users from evil (or more likely
stupid) code, be it in the products of certain large vendors, or in
freeware. My concern with OPES would be a modifying of data in a way that
neither end could determine.  I am not willing to protect the end points
from themselves. Nor can I.

Mo's warning is quite reasonable-- there is a limit to what goo you should
put in the middle, but I question the meaning of an end point.  If we
allow for the notion of things like web farms, can we not also allow for
some set of standards that support such things?  I think so.  However, I
can't say that's what OPES will do because the charter is too vague.

Eliot