RE: opes and technology picks

2001-06-21 13:40:02
Valdis.Kletnieks wrote:
And for the record, I can think of *several* organizations that
would be at least very tempted to stoop to saying "our client
software is non-malicious" and not actually *lie* because some
OPES agent is being malicious for the client software.

Actually the bigger threat is not that they would intentionally lie, but
that they would enable something like a java applet that was run hidden as
part of an inserted ad. It would be very easy for that applet to tell OPES
that this browser wanted the content mangled in a particular way. The
browser is doing the 'right thing', but the end user is totally unaware he
has authorized someone to prevent him from seeing original content simply by
receiving an unsolicited ad somewhere along the way. Couple that with script
enabled email and the spammers would have a field day basically because we
didn't have the wisdom to keep from giving them a standard mechanism for
authorizing rewriting of content.

If there is ever to be a case of preemptive termination of an effort within
the IETF, OPES is clearly one of them.

Tony