Re: opes and technology picks

2001-06-21 07:00:03
Eliot Lear wrote:

By appearing to make it legitimate (as RFC 1918 made NAT appear
legitimate). There is a possible way to deal with this though: require an
OPES box to obtain explicit consent from both ends before executing
any content manipulation.

  Brian

Why is it not acceptable to have one host or its owner approve of such a
use?

Because both the content originator and the content receiver should be
able to veto (say) ad insertion.

Consider a web farm.  How do we decide whether such "legitimate"
uses will be outweighed by "illegitimate" uses?

We can't make that judgement in a protocol design. All we can do is
provide functions. mo and others are saying we shouldn't even do that,
because they will be misused.

   Brian