Re: IPv4 vs MAC

2001-07-26 21:10:04
Thank you all for your accurate comments...

1. the Internet has may different lower layers;
   not everything in the Internet uses a MAC address

I am aware not everything uses a MAC address, Yes, as K. Hamzed said, for
example, WAN links don't use them...

2. MAC addresses are not routable.  there's no way for me to find
   out how to route a packet to your Ethernet even if I have your
   MAC address

I may have not expressed correctly, what I meant is:

If the used 48-bit addresses in lower layer protocols, why they did not use
48-bit routing-enabled addressing for the Internetwork layer? Not just use
the very same addresses as I may have implied (I DO NOT mean that). After
all, they were using 48-bit addresses already.

Thanks.

Saludos.
Regards.
José Manuel Arronte García