Re: Viruses

2001-07-27 02:20:03
Please forgive my naivete, but I find this situation astonishing. I'm on
many, many lists, and this is the *only* one to put SirCam into my inbox
- not just once, but at least a dozen times. And it's patently absurd to
run an older version of sendmail when more recent versions (starting
with sendmail 8.10) offer *much* more robust filtering capabilities,
both for spam and (via the milter API included since 8.10) for viruses.
Is it really someone's position that it would compromise the standards
process to filter this crap out? If so, please tell me who that is. I'd
love to be convinced that there's some good reason for putting up with
this flood of sludge.

grenville armitage wrote:

Jon William Toigo wrote:

Can anyone tell me why we have become so popular with the
virus guys all of a sudden?

Sssh! It is a little known secret that ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org exists
primarily as a diversion. By making ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org completely
accepting of crappy content and lame mail software, we hope
to seduce spam and virii away from WG mailing lists where all
the *real* work is done.

At least, that's the only faintly logical reason why attempts
to impose sane filtering on this list always seem to be shouted
down.

gja