Re: PATRIOT/USA followup: ongoing House debate

2001-10-12 18:00:03
"Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:

In message
<200110121944(_dot_)f9CJikxv012910(_at_)foo-bar-baz(_dot_)cc(_dot_)vt(_dot_)edu>,
 Valdis.Kletniek
s(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu writes:

There was also the equating of "hacking" to "terrorism".  With the
retroactive
removal of a statute of limitations.  And provisions for "providing
significan
aid" to terrorists.  This means that Steve Bellovin could (under the original
proposals) end up in jail for life, because he wrote a paper on TCP sequence
numbers, because Mitnick used a sequence number attack on somebody.

Nah -- that would be an ex post facto law, since it wasn't illegal to
publish that in 1989.

Well, I would have thought that it wasn't illegal to publish the first
internet-draft in '92 that lead to the nearly identical RFC-1334 "PPP
Authentication Protocols" in '94.  (Read it and weep.)

But, as those of you who have been around here for a significant period of time
already know, I spent the bulk of my life
savings fending off
the FBI on a charge of _T_R_E_A_S_O_N_, and at least one university cut
off my internet access just on the suspicion of the investigation.

Are we all prepared to hazard that?

The new bill allows them to secretly monitor communications and business
records, and seize all my computer equipment and bank accounts _during_
the investigation....  and reduces the burden of proof to "reasonable
cause" and "reasonable necessity", instead of "probable cause".

Are we *ALL* prepared to hazard that?

Of course, I may have to worry about my next paper...  And although ex
post facto laws are banned by the Constitution, there are (or at least
were) other provisions of dubious constitutionality in that bill.

It's arguable that educating a foreign national on security issues has
always been illegal.  However, the statute of limitations on that is
merely increased to 8 years.  Increasing a statute of limitations time
isn't considered an ex post facto law.

Unlimited is "the commission of such offense resulted in, or created a
forseeable risk of, death or serious bodily injury to another person."

Ah, well -- time to get ready for the traditional flood of "out of the
office" autoreplies...

Amazingly enough, I haven't had any on my posts!
--
William Allen Simpson