Re: persistent domain names

2001-11-01 03:00:02

--On onsdag, oktober 31, 2001 09:17:34 -0500 Michael Mealling <michael(_at_)neonym(_dot_)net> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 09:15:35PM +0000, Zefram wrote:
I'm looking for discussion of the problem more than the solution at this
stage; my I-D does outline a couple of possible solutions, but
considering the issues that have arisen already in respect of the
problem statement, solution finding will have to wait a bit.

BTW, If you want to use OIDs in URIs there's already RFC 3061. The only
problem is with resolution since there is no OID database and proving
who has what is not a simple operation at all...

there are a couple of databases, such as http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/

but they are NOT authoritative, WOEFULLY incomplete, and you are generally lucky if you find what you are looking for.

it would be fun :-) to populate the oid.urn.arpa zone with data from here - but not particularly useful, I think.

                 Harald

-MM

------- Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
michael(_at_)neonym(_dot_)net      |                              |
http://www.neonym.net

-
This message was passed through
ietf_censored(_at_)carmen(_dot_)ipv6(_dot_)cselt(_dot_)it, which
is a sublist of ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Not all messages are passed.
Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Raffaele D'Albenzio.