Re: persistent domain names

2001-11-02 09:10:04
On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 10:54:15AM +0100, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
--On onsdag, oktober 31, 2001 09:17:34 -0500 Michael Mealling
<michael(_at_)neonym(_dot_)net> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 09:15:35PM +0000, Zefram wrote:
I'm looking for discussion of the problem more than the solution at this
stage; my I-D does outline a couple of possible solutions, but
considering the issues that have arisen already in respect of the
problem statement, solution finding will have to wait a bit.

BTW, If you want to use OIDs in URIs there's already RFC 3061. The only
problem is with resolution since there is no OID database and proving
who has what is not a simple operation at all...

there are a couple of databases, such as http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/

but they are NOT authoritative, WOEFULLY incomplete, and you are generally
lucky if you find what you are looking for.

it would be fun :-) to populate the oid.urn.arpa zone with data from here -
but not particularly useful, I think.

Yes it would. And if it even remotely succeeds you end up with a real
OID database that other things work off of. Once the DDDS documents
are done and the {uri|urn}.arpa delegations are created we could give it
a try.

If anyone is interested in the idea contact me directly and I'll see
how much support there is and if we could actually do something...

-MM

Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
michael(_at_)neonym(_dot_)net      |                              |
http://www.neonym.net