Re: Last Call: Date and Time on the Internet: Timestamps to Proposed Standard

2001-11-09 20:20:03
Hi!

The IESG writes:

The IESG has received a request from the Instant Messaging and Presence
Protocol Working Group to consider Date and Time on the Internet:
Timestamps <draft-ietf-impp-datetime-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org or ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by
November 23, 2001.

Files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-impp-datetime-05.txt

I like to see this document and thank the authors for this piece of work!

I have two comments:

1. I've used Harald Alvestrand's abfn-parser to check the two grammars
   (the main one, and the one in Appendix A). The second one uses the
   token `date-time' which is only defined in the other grammer. I guess,
   this should be fixed.

2. I don't like to read things like this in a standards track document
   (Appendix A):

      This information is based on the 1988 version of ISO 8601.
      There may be some changes in the 2000 revision.  [...]  This is
      informational only and may contain errors.

   I understand, that this Appendix is just informational. However, under
   the mentioned conditions, I wonder what the purpose of this Appendix
   is. To avoid people refering to it, I would suggest to simply remove it.
   But I would prefer to see the Appendix keep part of the document and
   ensured that the contents are correct and up to date, before it enters
   the standards track.

 -frank