RE: Last Call: Date and Time on the Internet: Timestamps to Propo sed Standard

2001-11-10 13:30:03
-----Original Message-----
From: Dawson Frank (NMP/Irving)
[mailto:Frank(_dot_)Dawson(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com]
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2001 2:30 PM
To: 'ext Hollenbeck, Scott'
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; ietf-calendar(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Last Call: Date and Time on the Internet: Timestamps to
Proposed Standard

"One size fits all"? This isn't about haberdashery.

Obviously.  Sorry if the point of the analogy wasn't clear.

The point of a standard format is exactly that there needs to be a
single precise format. If you are going to use an Internet date/time
standard, then it ought to be same or at least an isomer (ie, iCalendar
date/time format).

Especially, when it comes to basic data types like date/time.

Yes, we should have a standard, but that standard should be usable across
the IETF.  In the provreg WG, we're using XML Schema to specify a protocol
because XML and XML Schema provide needed extensibility features.  I can't
use 2445-compliant date-time format because XML Schema won't accept it.

We can debate the merits (or detriments) of using non-IETF specified
technologies for IETF work, but that's not the issue at hand.  The
Timestamps draft describes formats that can be used where 2445-format can't,
and at least in the case of the provreg WG that flexibility is needed.

-Scott-