RE: Last Call: Date and Time on the Internet: Timestamps to Propo sed Standard

2001-11-10 19:20:02
"One size fits all"? This isn't about haberdashery.

The point of a standard format is exactly that there needs to be a
single precise format. If you are going to use an Internet date/time
standard, then it ought to be same or at least an isomer (ie, iCalendar
date/time format).

Especially, when it comes to basic data types like date/time.

-- Frank

Perhaps, but the point I was trying to make isn't about the
W3C ignoring
IETF work or vice-versa.  A "one size fits all" specification
isn't likely
to meet everyone's needs, and the situation with 2445 and XML
Schema is just
one example of a situation where the given size didn't fit
someone for some
reason.  The point I was trying to make is that the
timestamps document
seems to provide a reasonable compromise between being too
restrictive and
too permissive.