RE: trying to reconcile two threads

2001-11-28 17:00:05
This may be the wrong time to interject this, but I know of a local cable
company that requires you to register a single MAC address.  As the cable
company requires their technicians to install the modem, they can prevent
you from installing a router at a later time (I realize that software can be
installed on the PC to accomplish the same tasks).  They rate usage by
'users', which they tie to MAC addresses.  Their bandwidth is also published
on their website.  If all of this sounds odd, they are the only company
offering Internet service other than dial-up in the area. -->
www.scottsboro.org

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Rosen [mailto:erosen(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 2:29 PM
To: Fred Baker
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: trying to reconcile two threads

Fred> I  see a  longish  thread about  the  fact that  some cable  companies
Fred> apparently are desperate  to charge per IP address  (something one can
Fred> only do if IP addresses are in fact a scarce resource)

I think  you miss the  point here.  The  cable companies want to  charge per
computer, and  the only way they  can do this is  to count the  number of IP
addresses they  see.  If you use NAT,  they only see one.   This has nothing
whatsoever to do with scarcity of addresses.

Even  with IPv6, they  would still  want to  charge by  the IP  address, and
people would still use NAT to save money.