Re: Blue Sheet Etiquette

2001-12-13 20:50:02
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Susan Harris wrote:

Easy - don't go to events where you don't want people to know.
The names are available. If you don't want your name on the
list of attendees - don't attend. I doubt they copied the
entire list. What horrible thing do you think they were
doing with your name or email address?  Is the fact they
knew your name offensive? Or do you think that spammers attend
the IETF meeting just to get email addresses? What's the issue?

All of us have our name on the list of attendees - that's not the point.
In fact, if the person doing the copying simply wanted names, why didn't
he/she go to the registration list on the web? Probably because he's
interested in marketing to the special interests of the people at the WG,
and wanted to get their email addresses quickly and easily.  Very
offensive.

This brings up another question: why are email addresses collected on the
blue sheets?  Aren't names sufficient? The secretariat already has
everybody's email addres from the registration form.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                    Email:
henk(_dot_)uijterwaal(_at_)ripe(_dot_)net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1016 AB Amsterdam                    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746

As long as you don't tell your friends how I played the hand,
then I won't tell my friends how you defended it.                 (Anonymous)