Re: Bandwidth? BANDWIDTH. We don't need no stinking bandwidth

2002-01-21 22:00:06
On 1/21/02 3:00 PM, "Dan Kolis" <dank(_at_)hq(_dot_)lindsayelec(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Of course its true: "no amount of QOS can generate any additional bandwidth"

(That's what Multi Protocol Labeling Switching is for!)

Hmm, wonder if "QOS" here might imply different things ...

Put aside the history where it came from, MPLS finally did find a need for
it: as the Internet topology gets more and more richly connected, there is a
need to spread out traffic over all existing connectivities in some
controlled way.

There is the adm-control and BW reservation side of QOS, but in case of
MPLS, it also helps with the above issue.

Note I am not saying MPLS is the right solution for the problem.
To me the right solution to the above mentioned problem should be a
multi-path routing protocol.

My 2 cents (and stop, don¹t mean to join another round of MPLS bashing)

Lixia