Re: Yes, conformance testing required... Re: Fwd: Re: IP: Microsoft breaks Mime specification

2002-01-27 18:10:03
I seem to be getting two conflicting viewpoints:

  #1 Vendors can only be trusted to be interoperable on their own,
     and can not be forced to conform.

  #2 Vendors absolutely can't be trusted to be interoperable,
     without conformance testing.

Kyle, in all kindness, you're missing the most fundamental
viewpoint expressed here recently: The IETF isn't the place,
nor is it the organization, that could or should take on the
role of interoperability-cop.

Some have proposed the ISOC as a body to do this kind of thing.

Is it also public opinion that the ISOC should or shouldn't do
something like this?

I agree with all of everything being said.  We mostly just need
to find the "right" body to do this kind of thing, and it's
still gotta be a "jury of peers" for it to have any value.

We need a "United Nations of Standards Citizenship".

Kyle Lussier
AutoNOC LLC