Re: RFC2119 Keywords

2002-02-15 00:50:03
On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 00:54:07 CST, David Fischer
<david(_at_)drummondgroup(_dot_)com>  said:

I am working in a standards group and a disagreement has
arisen concerning RFC2119.

You have my condolences. ;)

Is the 2119 keyword simply "must" or "MUST" or "Must" or
"MuSt" ... , or is the weight of the 2119 definition
reserved strictly for "MUST" (all caps)?  I assume the
answer would equally apply to the entire list of 2119
keywords.

From RFC3211 (which uses the same boilerplate as most post-2119 RFCs):

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT",
   "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be
   interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

So I'd say "if you mean the 2119 meaning, use ALL CAPS".
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer