Re: IETF #53 Schedule Stability

2002-02-22 07:30:02
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:18:17 +0100,
Dimitri(_dot_)Papadimitriou(_at_)alcatel(_dot_)be said:

because how can we determine the discussion time we would
need if we don't know 1) the number of submitted I-Ds and
the issue they could raise on mailing list 2) how they can

If you know what you're doing, it's engineering.  If you don't,
it's research. ;)

In general, we really can't tie down the agenda *too* tightly
because we don't know what the show-stopping issues are (if we
did, we'd not need to have the meeting, right?) I'm sure we've
*all* seen meeting agendas for a single hour-long meeting end
up totally incorrect because one item suddenly ends up taking
far longer than originally budgeted.

impact each other so for instance it might be better to put
WG X meeting before WG Y meeting (cross-WG discussion are
paramount importance in the current INTERNET environment)

If you already know beforehand that X and Y correlate, it's not
that hard to deal with.  The problem is that you can't pre-schedule
the random discussions in the hallway - I can think of a *number*
of Big Name People on this list, who could be put together for
30 mins or so, and will produce an important insight for *some*
working group.

Unfortunately, nobody knows *which* working group. ;)

(Not that I've ever actually *made* it to an in-person IETF meeting ;)
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer