Re: IETF #53 Schedule Stability

2002-02-22 16:10:03
Stephen,

What I am asking is that if, on March 1, the agenda says my meetings
are Monday and Tuesday, and I buy a cheap ticket to go home Wednesday,
the agenda doesn't change on March 11 moving my meetings to Thursday
and Friday.

there  might be good reasons for you to go home (i don't discuss that)
but
the key question here is for me that an IETF meeting doesn't come down
for any IETFer to a list of one or two WG meetings... it is the place
where a lot of IP Engineers find the time to discuss and exchange their
views on the future of the IP protocols, the INTERNET, etc. ... i can't
force you to stay if you want to go home on wednesday but could you one
second imagine what an IETF meeting might become if any IETFer behaves
like you propose ? Once its meeting of concern finishes any IETFer go
home... more than probably these individuals will miss the most
important !

hope i won't miss meeting you before wednesday ;-)
- dimitri.

Stephen Trowbridge wrote:

Michel,
I am not asking to move "my" meetings in close proximity. If they
were Monday and Thursday (or Friday A.M.), then I have to deal with it,
but I can still by a cheap ticket.
What I am asking is that if, on March 1, the agenda says my meetings
are Monday and Tuesday, and I buy a cheap ticket to go home Wednesday,
the agenda doesn't change on March 11 moving my meetings to Thursday
and Friday.
IETF is one of four standards organizations in which I participate.
In the past, a last minute change would mean that my company would
pay extra on my travel voucher to cover the penalties. Today, I
have hard limits on expenditures and a last minute change means I
either cancel this trip, or I cancel another trip to pay the
penalties for the change. It doesn't seem like too much to ask
that the WG and BOF times are set within a week of having all of
the requests to avoid participants having to make these kinds of
choices. I would be surprised if I am the only participant facing
these kinds of "new economy" rules.
Steve

Michel Py wrote:

Steve,

As the deadline for requests is February 22, would it
be possible to stabilize the agenda (at least WG and
BOF meeting times, not necessarily WG agendas) by
March 1? This would still allow for 14-day advance
purchase of airline tickets.

I think you are asking for a miracle here...... Don't get we wrong I
would love it too.

And there will be too many situations when the only two meetings you are
interested in are on Monday and Thursday.

Michel.

-
This message was passed through
ietf_censored(_at_)carmen(_dot_)ipv6(_dot_)cselt(_dot_)it, which
is a sublist of ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Not all messages are passed.
Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Raffaele D'Albenzio.