RE: IETF #53 Schedule Stability

2002-02-24 01:10:02
First a disclaimer:  all I ever miss is the newcomer's orientation :-)...
Yet...

I have to sympathize with Stephen's point of view.  If we want a broad
participation in the IETF, we have to make it possible for people to
participate.  Not all of us work for companies with multi-million euro
travel budgets.  Then again, in the "new old economy", the company with the
multi-million euro travel budget also has a multi-million euro bean counter,
that will give grief to spending one euro more...

While it's true that one should try to "see everything", it's hard to
imagine, for example, how a junior engineer working on an implementation of
wireless ad-hoc networks has much of an interest in ENUM.

A question for TPTB: what are the factors that result in schedule changes?
If it's purely the number of session requests and I-D's, or major scheduling
conflicts that got missed, then essentially locking-down the schedule two
weeks in advance is reasonable.  If list volume impacts schedule, than it's
hard to see an alternative.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On
Behalf Of
Dimitri(_dot_)Papadimitriou(_at_)alcatel(_dot_)be
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 6:03 PM
To: Stephen Trowbridge
Cc: Michel Py; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IETF #53 Schedule Stability

Stephen,

What I am asking is that if, on March 1, the agenda says my meetings
are Monday and Tuesday, and I buy a cheap ticket to go home Wednesday,
the agenda doesn't change on March 11 moving my meetings to Thursday
and Friday.

there  might be good reasons for you to go home (i don't discuss that)
but
the key question here is for me that an IETF meeting doesn't come down
for any IETFer to a list of one or two WG meetings... it is the place
where a lot of IP Engineers find the time to discuss and exchange their
views on the future of the IP protocols, the INTERNET, etc. ... i can't
force you to stay if you want to go home on wednesday but could you one
second imagine what an IETF meeting might become if any IETFer behaves
like you propose ? Once its meeting of concern finishes any IETFer go
home... more than probably these individuals will miss the most
important !
[snip]