Re: IETF Meetings - High Registration Fees

2002-03-17 10:10:03
Marshall Rose wrote:
This is something I have discussed with several people
and every one seems to agree.

The current registration fee of $575 is outrageously
high. Even though IETF claims to be an open forum with
no membership fee - you need $575*3=$1725 per year for
registration fee alone for attending IETF sessions.
This is effectively the membership fee for IETF. Sorry
- not everyone can plan ten days in advance to get
$125 reduction in fee. Just try to run a small
consulting business or work for a 20 person start up -
you would know what I mean.

bonney - setting aside, for now, the unstated
> assumption of your message that meetings are where
> the real work gets done, perhaps a starting point
would be to start by asking what the money gets spent
> on. maybe 575 is high, maybe it is low, maybe it is just right.

looking at a balance sheet would provide a basis for
> a reasoned discussion as to whether the fees are
> reasonable, outrageous, or a bargain...

How far off could it be? Presumably Bonney has trouble
participating in conferences such as Sigcomm, Infocom,
Globecom, etc.

All these meetings cost. Where does that money go? Into the coffers? Champagne? Consider the costs of:

        - ballrooms rental (it's not first-come, free)
        - setup /teardown (the chairs and tables are extra)
        - projectors/mics (and their setup/teardown, and running)
        - coffee/cookies (did you think they were donated?)
        - registration desks cost money
                the hotel charges to put up the tables
                the hotel charges for the phone line for
                        credit card verification
                the credit card company takes a cut
                the people are paid, not volunteers

Oh yeah, all those nicely taped-down power strips cost money. A lot more than you think - typically $50-$100 PER. Sure, each of these items could be bought at the local store cheaper, but don't forget setup/teardown, and in many cases, liability if the hotel doesn't do it with a licensed electrician or union staff.

Sure, we have sponsors, which is why this event doesn't cost $1000. It's why we have busses (free), over to a reserved museum (did you think that was free?). A tee-shirt and bag of 'stuff' (sponsor-paid, not out of that registration fee). A room full of PCs and ethernets, and wireless all over the place. And a network connection (the hotel, telco, and ISP all charge for that).

Covering JUST the above costs around $100-$150 a day, given my experience on the executive committees of various conferences and workshops.

----

This is all a fraction of the real cost of doing business. Bonney - if you find this "outrageous", please find a location that meets IETF guidelines (hotel size, room capacities, nearby international airports, etc.), prepare a budget, and offer an alternative. A cursory comparison with other conferences should convince you that the IETF, for a 4-5 day event, is nowhere near outrageous.

Joe