RE: IETF Meetings - High Registration Fees

2002-03-16 23:30:03
Bonney Kooper wrote:
The current registration fee of $575 is outrageously
high. Even though IETF claims to be an open forum with
no membership fee - you need $575*3=$1725 per year for
registration fee alone for attending IETF sessions.

I paid out of my own pocket, and I do not think that the fee is outrageous.
Accounting the amount of cookies and yogurts I eat, and the number of coffee
cups I drink, and the price to rent the rooms and the nice video projectors, it
does not seem extravagant to me. Do you think the the Hilton is a charity?

This is effectively the membership fee for IETF.

I do not agree. Meetings are optional and membership is free.

Sorry - not everyone can plan ten days in advance to
get $125 reduction in fee.

if you can't plan it 10 days in advance, the IETF fee is a non-issue because
you will spend $3,000 for last minute airline tickets and hotel.

Marshall Rose wrote:
setting aside, for now, the unstated assumption of your message that
meetings are where the real work gets done,

Right on the money. Let's be real: meetings are a good excuse to have a few
beers with your mailing list buddies.

Michel.