Re: [idn] WG last call summary

2002-03-18 03:20:03
On 28th May 2001 (oh boy, we been aroud for so long?), I response to you on
the similar discussion: See
http://www.imc.org/idn/mail-archive/msg02789.html

Particularly, it will explain why display of non-ASCII glyphs isnt as simple
as "just use UTF-8 and everything is okay".

I've been silently following this discussion for a while. Why is it that
international domain names can't be implemented with some Unicode
encapsulating 7-bit encoding? I understand that there will be issues of
case sensitivity (for latin alphabets) on servers and incorrect display on
old clients, but how many of you type your URLs in mixed case? The
transition will go largely unnoticed. It'll be the responsibility of the
creator of the domain to make sure his/her site is available, anyway.

Have I missed an important point here, or...?
--
Thor Harald Johansen