Re: Guidance for spam-control on IETF mailing lists

2002-03-18 13:00:02
the weakness of using mailman's "suspend delivery" for submit-only
addresses is that the guy will get a monthly reminder of his password.

I find that if I as administrator use this feature for allowing people to
post, they tend to unsubscribe themselves at the start of the month, rather
defeating the system.

So far, I've stuck with using the permitted-posters field, and haven't
encountered the length limit yet.

                       Harald

--On 16. mars 2002 14:16 -0500 "Patrick R. McManus"
<mcmanus(_at_)ducksong(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I subscribe to a couple of different lists that (ab)use mailman's
"temporarily disable delivery" attribute for this purpose.

Someone with N addresses they'd like to post from simply subscribes to
the list from all of them and sets the disable delivery flag on N-1 of
them. Mailman seems to define temporary as "until I unset this attribute".

No admin intervention required.