Re: Guidance for spam-control on IETF mailing lists

2002-03-18 21:20:02
From: "John Stracke" <jstracke(_at_)incentivesystems(_dot_)com>

In fact if you look at the various forms
of legislation around the world

Law has nothing to do with right and wrong.  If I can't look at a piece of
spam and determine whether or not it infringes the law, then there is
something wrong with the law.

That may be true in general, but it might be interesting to look at
how existing laws might apply to examples of spam.  I'm certainly not
a lawyer, but I suspect that the unsolicited bulk commercial advertising
email or "spam" that Mr. Kenres's organization sent me (and perhaps
other contributors to this mailing list) in October, 2001, violates
the California and Colorado laws.  Of course, even if I'm right about
that, the Hong Kong location of his organization and the passage of
time makes the issue moot in any practical sense.

To see if you received Mr. Kenres's spam, check the first two entries at
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22ima.%2Bcom%22+group%3Anews.admin.net-abuse.sightings
Notice for one thing that it lacks the required (and yes, stupid)
"ADV:" Subject line tag.

There are links to many laws at http://www.spamlaws.com/