Re: Guidance for spam-control on IETF mailing lists

2002-03-18 17:50:02
The behavour that bulk emailers exhibit is substiantly different from
happened in this case.

The key point, though, is that there is no way for the recipients to tell
the difference.  From my point of view, when I get customized spam (the
sort with my name & address on it, rather than BCC:ing everybody), all I
know is that it was sent by someone running a simple fill-in-the-blanks
program.  I do not know, or care, whether that program was run in software
or wetware; and I do not know, or care, whether that message went to 10
people or 10 million.  Either way, the harm to me is the same.

In fact if you look at the various forms
of legislation around the world

Law has nothing to do with right and wrong.  If I can't look at a piece of
spam and determine whether or not it infringes the law, then there is
something wrong with the law.

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer        |
|jstracke(_at_)incentivesystems(_dot_)com   |Incentive Systems, Inc.   |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|"What we have here is a failure to assimilate." --Cool Hand|
|Locutius                                                   |