Re: [idn] WG last call summary

2002-03-18 23:00:02
Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu writes:
As such, I have to insist that *any* IDN proposal be required to be
backwards transparent to the current 2821/2822/2045-2049 standards

Putting UTF-8 into email headers right now would trigger a serious
Sendmail bug, so of course I don't encourage anyone to do that.

However, the Sendmail bug should be fixed as soon as possible. Do you
disagree with this?

Furthermore, the IETF specifications that allow 7-bit software should be
fixed as soon as possible. Do you disagree with this?

Or do you want these bugs to continue to plague programmers in 10 years?
20 years? 50 years?

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago