Re: How many standards or protocols...

2002-04-16 13:45:03
Ran you jhit it on the head - "Your milages varies..." - this is a standards
organization and not a place where we decide who we like and which of their
projects we are going to allow to come through us today and not.

That's not the way any other GLOBAL standards orgs work. It is however how
all of the privatized reccomendation services work, and the problem here is
that you have hit the needle on the head. The IETF is not a fair and
equitible playing field by your very commentary.

Todd

----- Original Message -----
From: "RJ Atkinson" <rja(_at_)extremenetworks(_dot_)com>
To: "todd glassey" <todd(_dot_)glassey(_at_)worldnet(_dot_)att(_dot_)net>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 11:24 AM
Subject: Re: How many standards or protocols...

On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 01:01 , todd glassey wrote:

The problem James is that this is just not the case. What is the case is
that each WG Chair gets to decide what concensus is for their WG and
that is
wrong.

It is the role of the WG chair(s) to determine rough consensus.  If one
disagrees, there is a well-documented appeal process.  Consensus
necessarily
is sometimes more rough than other times.

I'm quite happy with the way it is.  And by the way, the IETF doesn't
recognise organisational members, just individuals.  And I like that
aspect as well.

Clearly your mileage varies.

Ran