Re: IPR at IETF 54

2002-05-31 06:43:17
Right.  Standards exist so that we can get interoperability; expensive
licenses limit interoperability.

No, expensive licenses place an upper bound on the number of
interoperable implementations.

I believe it comes to the same thing.  Interop is not actually the end
goal; it is a tool to prevent vendor lock-in by maximizing people's choice
of implementations.  If a standard is subject to an expensive license,
that raises the bar on who can implement it, which reduces choice.

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer        |
|jstracke(_at_)incentivesystems(_dot_)com   |Incentive Systems, Inc.   |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|There are footprints on the moon. No feet, just footprints.|