Re: IPR at IETF 54

2002-05-31 06:46:49
On Fri, 31 May 2002 07:12:50 MDT, Vernon Schryver
<vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>  said:

In still other words, don't you remember the years of pain
Motorola/Codec caused PPP with those two bogus patents?

I guess what I was asking was how the IETF would feel about an organization
grabbing a patent on an algorithm and using it the same way the GNU crew
uses copyright on source code.  (Remember - the GNU copyright only works
for *code* - since algorithms can be (at least in the US) patented but not
copyrighted, you'd have to do a similar stunt with a patent).

(And yes, this would be a case of "the Good Guys file a bull-manure patent
to pre-empt the Evil Guys from filing a bull-manure patent" - but until the
Patent Office gets their act together we're stuck with borked software patents
that are invalid due to prior art, etc....)

/Valdis