RE: Last Call: SMTP Service Extension for Content Negotiation toP roposed Standard

2002-07-03 16:03:06

Ned "sed":

...fax is dead technology, who cares???

FAX is NOT dead at NASA.

We send a LOT of documents to other centers that cannot be sent via e-mail
(photocopies of shipping documents, flight manifests, older engineering
drawings, etc [things that are not available electronically]).  That is why
I am so interested in seeing this work completed.

I just don't comment much because I don't have anything to say.  I am
learning this stuff as I go, and not very well [datacomm is not my strongest
subject :) - I do video for Shuttle & Space Station, but I recognize a money
saver when I see it]

My main interest is that it will save NASA (therefore the taxpayers) LOTS of
dollars in long distance charges.  I would estimate around a million a year,
but I have no data to back that up.

I will try to get some data if anyone wants to see it (write me privately -
if I get enough requests, I will post it, else I will send it privately).

So, remember, while you are working on this, you are preparing the way for
TAX savings (it's YOUR money).  Does that encourage you to continue?

And if you REALLY think that fax is dead, why are you working so hard to
finish it??  (I know, because the IESG/IMC/etc says to...)

Regards to all & a special "howdy" to Dan Wing/RJC

Richard Coles
Lockheed Martin, in support of
NASA/Johnson Space Center/Houston

rcoles(_at_)ems(_dot_)jsc(_dot_)nasa(_dot_)gov  (or as shown above)