Re: Trees have one root

2002-07-30 11:51:44
Eric A. Hall wrote:

In general you are right, but in practical terms, there isn't much
difference between 20, 200 or 2000 TLDs, as long as they don't also
introduce, say, a billion phones to the service network.

no.  a few hundred million hosts using (on average) two dozen popular TLDs
will generate twice the load on the roots as the same number of hosts using
(on average) a dozen popular TLDs.

That only holds true if the number of queries also doubles.

False.  The caching system means that the roots don't pay per query;
they pay per cache miss--and the number of cache misses is going to be
roughly proportional to the number of TLDs.

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centivinc(_dot_)com                  |