Re: way out of the DNS problems? (former Re: delegation mechanism, Re: Trees have one root)

2002-08-01 15:41:47

  *>
  *> > On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
  *> >
  *> >> I am sorry to repeat it (and I will try not to say it too
  *> >> many times again): the terms of the ".arpa" sub global
  *> >> namespace delegation are described in RFC 920 by Jon Postel
  *> >> himself.
  *> >
  *> > Request For Comment number 920 is simply a now historic record
  *> > of a policy statement between the IAB and the DARPA in 1984
  *> > regarding establishment of Top Level Domains, and had a focus
  *> > predominately on USA-based organisations.
  *> >...
  *>
  *> Two additions to Bruce's comments...
  *>
  *> (i) While I was not involved in the discussions leading up to,
  *> or surrounding, RFC 920, I do have some recollections from
  *> earlier and subsequent periods.  Given those recollections, and
  *> what 920 actually says, I find it fairly difficult to believe
  *> that any part of that RFC was motivated by a name-space-division
  *> agreement between Jon and/or the ICCB/IAB and a collection of
  *> operators of systems based on OSI or other protocols.

Indeed.  We have a serious case of fabricated history here.  You may be
very sure that Jon's choices were not influenced by OSI or any other
standards entity.  If indeed he was even aware of OSI or ITU
considerations at the time, he certainly would not have cared (but he
might have been amused) .  Nor did any agency of the US government play
any role at all.

Bob Braden