PTR records and software support (was Re: Revisiting DNS Notation

2002-08-08 09:55:30
On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 19:20:50 PDT, Mohsen BANAN said:

For example, the fact that no nslookup program
(that I know of) over the years have provided
a "straight" User Interface for in-addr says
something ...

'dig -x 132.151.6.21' should Do The Right Thing (although it in fact fails to
do so because of a missing PTR record - so while we're fixing the ECN problem,
we  might want to clean up the DNS while we're at it. (And yes, this is bcc'ed
to what's listed on the SOA...)

'dig' should be pretty widespread, as it comes as part of Bind 8 (for Bind
4 it was a separate package, but if you're still running 4 you have bigger
issues than getting 'dig' to work ;)

I'm quite sure that 'dig' was already around in 1999 when you wrote that
the first time - I seem to remember building it at my previous job (which
I left in May 1989).  I know the author is lurking and will comment if
I got it blatantly wrong.. ;)
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer