Re: Revisiting The DNS Notation Backwardsness Problem and Multiple Parallel Root Server Clusters

2002-08-08 12:29:34
Thus "Mohsen BANAN"
<public(_at_)mohsen(_dot_)banan(_dot_)1(_dot_)byname(_dot_)net>
I spent a fair amount of time in early 1999 and
educated IETF cult's chiefs about

    The DNS Notation Backwardsness Problem

The conclusion of that thread was that indeed
we have a genuine architectural DNS Notation Backwardsness
Problem. I included samples of acknowledgement of the
problem in my previous message. Was hoping by now
that would be enough.

There is no consensus in the email quotes you supply -- just you ranting about a
problem the rest of us have decided isn't worth solving.

It's possible that domain names would be more logical or useful if they were
written in the reverse order.  However, they're not, and it's about 20 years and
500M users too late to change one of the most basic premises of DNS.  Stability
is more valuable than aesthetics.

As we consider raising the DNS name space roof we have an opportunity
to deal with other aspects of the DNS notation.

Nobody is seriously considering "raising the roof".  Creating a new,
higher-level root will only cause pain and a quick repeat of the problems we
have today.