Re: Why spam is a problem.

2002-08-13 10:53:43
On 8/13/02, Carsten Bormann wrote:

Maybe it *is* time to develop technical solutions that
will assist the legal ones being deployed.

I agree that would be an excellent effort. Is there a more
specific mailing list where the topic should be addressed?

My initial minimalist approach is to propose a standard
whereby the source of an email can be authenticated,
allowing receivers and relayers the option of rejecting or
simply segregating email without authenticated sources.

Attempts to *classify* mail as "unsolicited" will only
result in years of debate as to which groups are entitled to
exemptions -- witness the debates on telemarketing rules.