Re: Why spam is a problem.

2002-08-14 07:43:41
Extending the TCPA to include unsolicited commercial mail is our best
collective hope at slowing down spam in the short term,

yeah, like it's really going to stop the spam coming from Korea.

I stop that by blocking anything coming in with a Korean character
set. That and the thing blocking anything with a Chinese character set
stop a huge number of hits a day. I'm not concerned, actually, about
the garbage I can automatically eliminate. What concerns me is the
fraction that I can't, like the "Giant Discount!" spam that just made
it past my filters.

it's easy to build a filter that will remove 99% of what is spam to *me* -
just get rid of anything that is not written in English, or that contains
any Java or Javascript, or any Microsoft- or Apple-specific file format,
or that doesn't have a valid return address.  basically I'd be rejecting
things that I either couldn't  read or couldn't reply to anyway.

it's much more difficult to filter spam in general.  one person's spam
might be another person's life-changing investment opportunity...

Keith