Re: writing congress about spam

2002-08-19 20:49:11
At 10:36 AM 8/19/2002 -0700, Dan Wing wrote:
Doug,

Do you feel the FCC's existing rule against unsolicited faxes
(title 47, chapter 5, subchapter II, section 227) censors or
limits freedom of communication or expression, and should be
repealed?

Ladies and Gentlemen I'm rather dismayed that I have not heard any rational response to the suggestion by my distinguished colleague Mr. Wing that the elements of Title 47 aka the junk fax laws could not be made applicable to unsolicited SMTP traffic. Many European Countries have similar laws.

Several of the US States have enacted decent laws banning SPAM, California in particular, but a national policy ..not under the control of the DMA could be modestly effective. Many of us who have had experience in fax protocol development and deployment have first hand knowledge of this.

BTW there is a national effort underway in the US to stop unsolicited phone calls, just as if not more annoying than SPAM .... and yes even in an Republican administration here in the US.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/donotcall/index.html

Is there no faith at all in the power of rational laws enacted by rational people?

Has this bizarre libertarian streak in some completely blinded folks from the possibilities of government acting rationally?

Do you all think your vote or voice has no value in the public realm? Do you believe the process in the US and elsewhere is so totally corrupted by money there is no hope for competent technical views to reach elected decision makers?

Yes we can develop and deploy better filtering technology ..but that is not a panacea for the abuse we all must suffer through.

There is power in collective political action, after all who funded the development and deployment of TCP/IP in the first place...

-d