"the IAB *is* mulling over the idea of where to go next..."

2002-09-06 18:24:40
From: "Sally Floyd" <floyd(_at_)icir(_dot_)org>
"the IAB *is* mulling over the idea of where to go next in terms of discussions
of the overall architecture..."
=======

Since the ISOC is going to focus on cash-flow from the .ORG Registry operation
and appears to be focused on Washington D.C. and Geneva Switzerland...

Would it not make sense for the IETF to become part of ICANN ?...instead of the
ISOC...?
With ICANN at the top of the 0:0 .ARPA Multi-Level-Marketing (MLM) structure,
revenues
can be derived from address space leasing and the $1 per year fees on domain
names.
That revenue could be used to construct an IETF Research Lab on a ranch ICANN
could buy in California, overlooking the ocean. Another option would be for the
IAB to be
permanently housed in their own building in the Presidio. Forty year leases are
available.
http://www.presidiotrust.org
http://www.atthepresidio.org/
http://www.presidiotrust.org/leasing/non_residential/building951.asp
Northern California may be a better location for the IETF and IAB than Southern
California
of the East Coast of the U.S. All that money from the .ORG registrations will
have
to be spent somewhere, in order to appear as a non-profit.

It might be good to have a scenic place to "mull" over those architecture
directions...

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB:...IPv8 is closer than you think...
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt