Re: INTERVIEW comments by Conrad on IPv4

2002-09-22 21:40:30
On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 04:13:17 EDT, Joe Baptista
<baptista(_at_)dot-god(_dot_)com>  said:
"David Conrad recently reminded legal participant of telecom conferences
that Ipv4 address space remains yours even if you don't pay the registry
fees.  Conrad a registry insider at ARIN admitted people don't have to
return address space if they don't pay their fees."

Can anyone tell me why this is the case?

Well... I go down to the local rental store, and if I rent a post hole
digger or a chain saw or similar, I need to return it before the next
people can use it.

If I forget to return the stuff I rented from Rent-An-Integer (aka ARIN),
they don't need to get my integers back before they can give them out again
to somebody who's not a deadbeat.

Of course, at that point, you basically have RFC1918-style space with
a nonstandard prefix, and are quite likely to be hassled by the current
renter of that series of integers if you persist in using them on the
open Internet.

Remember - you're not paying for address space.  You're paying for a guarantee
that you're the only user of that address space.  If you don't understand the
distinction, you might want to stash that article and re-write it once you do.
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer