Re: INTERVIEW comments by Conrad on IPv4

2002-09-22 22:23:04
well what i've heard is that it what we in business call the old screw up.
they forgot the law while they were handing out address space.

cerf explained it very well.  they are powerless to do anything.  i can
see a IPv4 union of users coming together.  his exact words were

"The problem with trying to reclaim (re-possess) IP address space is
enforcement. One has to find a way to stop someone from "advertising" the
assigned address space in the global routing tables before one can
effectively re-use the address space. Unless the party cooperates by
ceasing to advertise the space, assigning it to another party who
advertises this address space will cause inconsistent routing to one or
the other of the advertising networks."

I can see alot of opportunities here if push comes to shove.  Incidentally
rfc 1918 is irrelevant to it - those are internal border addresses - non
public "Address Allocation for Private Internets".  Unless I'm missing
something it's the public address network.

Cheers
Joe Baptista

--
Planet Communications & Computing Facility
a division of The dot.GOD Registry, Limited